Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Skinny by Donna Cooner

Amazon / Goodreads

Blurb via Goodreads-
"Find your voice.

Hopeless. Freak. Elephant. Pitiful. These are the words of Skinny, the vicious voice that lives inside fifteen-year-old Ever Davies’s head. Skinny tells Ever all the dark thoughts her classmates have about her. Ever knows she weighs over three hundred pounds, knows she’ll probably never be loved, and Skinny makes sure she never forgets it.

But there is another voice: Ever’s singing voice, which is beautiful but has been silenced by Skinny. Partly in the hopes of trying out for the school musical—and partly to try and save her own life—Ever decides to undergo a risky surgery that may help her lose weight and start over.

With the support of her best friend, Ever begins the uphill battle toward change. But demons, she finds, are not so easy to shake, not even as she sheds pounds. Because Skinny is still around. And Ever will have to confront that voice before she can truly find her own".


Ok first I have to point out that the cover does not do this book justice. Without a doubt the cover model should be a "real" girl, not some gorgeous model who won the genetics lottery. This is an arc so hopefully that will change by the time it gets published.

anyhoo... I LOVED this book!!! I completely related to Ever (i love that name btw) I think a lot of people big or small can relate to that certain voice in your head.   Being that Ever was only fifteen, I think she should have tried other methods first, before going straight to surgery. But, being overweight my entire life, I completely understand.  I had the same problems Ever had, nervous that I wouldn't fit into any of my school desks, constantly made fun of..etc... Skinny was wonderfully written and definitely became a new favorite.

Highly Recommend to anyone.  5 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

roro said...

great review. hoping to get this one soon

Nina said...

Sounds really interesting! I already have this on my wishlist, but I want to read it NOW! Great review.

J'adore Happy Endings

Anonymous said...

Great review! I think I'd enjoy this one, from being overweight most of my life and feeling like it's gotten in the way of my musical pursuits.